The reason that I call this recipe the “cheater coconut yogurt” recipe is because it’s not technically yogurt because it is not fermented and there are no probiotics in it. Real yogurt should be fermented and I have to say, fermented foods with probiotics are one of the best things for your gut health and your immune system. So even though you maybe be skipping out on them for this recipe, you should definitely be getting them somewhere else whether it’s sauerkraut, kombucha, fermented veggies, homemade pickles or probiotic supplements. Just make sure your fermented food is really fermented (It shouldn’t have vinegar in it if it’s truly fermented. Vinegar preserving is pickling and won’t result in probiotics).
This coconut “yogurt” simply mimics the thick consistency of yogurt. If you’re craving something like that that is homemade, this is the perfect recipe! It’s dairy free, paleo and vegan. It’s also really easy to make, so that’s why I like it!
I use chia seeds to thicken the coconut milk into a “yogurt” consistency in this recipe. I’m not a huge fan of recipes that use whole chia seeds as thickeners because you get little beads of chia in each bite. I prefer it to be smooth, so I grind the chia seeds with a coffee grinder for this recipe!
- 1 13.5 oz Can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2-4 tbsp of ground chia seeds (depending on desired thickness)
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener of choice like honey, maple syrup, etc. (optional)
- To grind chia seeds, grind them in a coffee or spice grinder like this one. The amount you will use for the yogurt will depend on how thick you want it to be. If you like it a little thinner, use 2 tbsp, if you like it really thick use 4 tbsp.
- Place the whole can of coconut milk in a bowl. Add the desired amount of ground chia seeds and sweetener (you can also add the sweetener later if you want). Mix it with a stick blender. You can also use a regular blender to mix all the ingredients.
- Put the mixture in a jar or tupperware container then place it in the fridge. Allow it to set for about 1-2 hours. When it's finished it will be thickened into a yogurt-like texture.
- Serve with fruit or nuts and enjoy!
Click here to Pin It!
Get My FREE 4-Week Paleo Meal Plan to your inbox!
Get instant access to my 4-week paleo meal plan when you subscribe!
Plus you'll also get updates on my new healthy real food recipes, nutrition articles and more!