I think cupcakes are one of my favorite desserts. What’s not to love? It like a personalized cake with a heap of creamy frosting on it. It also doesn’t hurt that they are just so cute! I admit it, I’m a sucker for cute little baked goods.
These double chocolate grain-free cupcakes will give any store-bought cupcake a run for it’s money and on top of the delicious flavor it’s also a whole lot better for you that any store-bought cupcake.
Double Chocolate Grain-Free Cupcakes:
Makes 6-8 cupcakes
Supplies: Hand mixer
1/2 cup coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp cacao powder or cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
2/3 cup coconut milk (where to buy bpa & additive free coconut milk)
4 pastured eggs
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup coconut oil– room temperature
1/4 cup coconut butter (where to buy coconut butter)
1/4 tsp vanilla
4-6 tbsp powdered coconut sugar*
4 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
shredded coconut (optional)
* to powder the coconut sugar, simply grind in a small coffee grinder like this one.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°. Melt the coconut oil and combine with remaining cupcake ingredients in a food processor or bowl, mix well.
2. Place batter in a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners (I like these silicone cupcake liners). The cupcakes will rise a small amount, so you can fill the muffin liner about 3/4 full–almost to the top. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the tops are slightly browned.
3. For the frosting: Place the coconut oil in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer. The coconut oil will soften up a bit. Add the coconut butter, vanilla and powdered coconut sugar and blend with the hand mixer until mixed. Then add the cacao or cocoa powder and mix again. Keep in the fridge until the cupcakes are cooled and ready to frost. The frosting will harden if it’s in the fridge for longer than 30 minutes. To soften, leave at room temperature for 15-30 minutes then blend again with a hand mixer until it breaks up and softens.
4. Top the cupcakes with the frosting and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Store the cupcakes in the fridge and let sit at room temperature 30-60 minutes before eating to allow the frosting to soften.
Like what you’ve read? Use the box below to sign up for my FREE newsletter to keep up to date on my latest posts!
Subscribe to the FREE newsletter
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my blog are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Get My FREE 10 Healthy Holiday Treats Recipe Ebook!
10 Healthy Holiday Treats is Totally Gluten-Free, Paleo & Dairy-Free!
Get instant access when you subscribe!