These sourdough crepes are great for discarded starter. You know when you’re feeding your sourdough starter to proof it for baking and you have to throw some of the old starter out to feed it again? Well, this is a good use for the starter that you would normally throw away. If you don’t have sourdough starter yet, get on board! You can get sourdough starters here. Once you get them going you can use them for all kinds of things like bread, muffins, pancakes, etc.
The fact that the dough is “soured” reduces the phytic acid–an enzyme inhibitor present in grains that blocks the absorption of key vitamins and minerals. You can also reduce phytic acid by sprouting or soaking grains and legumes, but sourdough is a fun way to do it too!
The baking soda in this recipe reacts with the acidic sourdough to make it extra bubbly! This helps the dough that might not be all-the-way proofed yet easily flip and keep a thin crepe-like texture.
The filling is light and fluffy dairy-free whipped coconut cream! Before you make this recipe make sure that you’ve refrigerated a can of full fat coconut milk overnight (where to buy BPA free coconut milk).
Easy Sourdough Crepes:
Makes 2-3 crepes
1/2 cup sourdough starter–this can be discarded starter or starter that hasn’t been fully proofed yet (where to buy sourdough starters)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp ghee, butter or coconut oil for frying (where to buy coconut oil)
**Make sure you’ve put a can of coconut cream in the refrigerator the night before you make this recipe.
1. In a bowl mix sourdough starter, egg, salt and coconut sugar. Add baking soda to the mix–it will bubble.
2. In a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet or griddle on medium-high heat melt ghee or oil. Put enough batter in the pan to almost cover entire surface, but make sure to leave some room around the perimeter to be able to flip the crepe. Let the crepe cook until it is very bubbly and easily flipped, then flip it. Allow it to cook on the other side, then remove from pan.
3. To prepare the coconut cream, make sure that you’ve refrigerated a can of full fat coconut milk overnight (where to buy BPA free coconut milk). Scoop the coconut cream out of the can and leave the thin liquid at the bottom.
4. Using a hand mixer, whisk the coconut cream for a few minutes until it’s fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk.
5. Fill the crepe with coconut cream and top with berries then fold the crepe over. Enjoy!
Like what you’ve read? Use the box below to sign up for my FREE newsletter to keep up to date on my latest posts!
Subscribe to the FREE newsletter
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my blog are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Get My FREE 4-Week Paleo Meal Plan to your inbox!
Get instant access to my 4-week paleo meal plan when you subscribe!
Plus you'll also get updates on my new healthy real food recipes, nutrition articles and more!