I love cake and this grain-free vanilla cake is a winner! I’ve been meaning to develop a good grain-free cake recipe for a while, but haven’t had the motivation…until my Aunt’s birthday last week! I brought my cake up to my aunts house out in Marin and enjoyed it with my family. It was a hit!
Grain-free vanilla cake:
1 cup coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 and 1/4 cup pitted dates in 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
1 and 1/4 cup coconut milk or whole milk
1 and 1/4 tsp baking soda
8 eggs, separated
1 can coconut cream** (where to buy bpa free coconut milk)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of salt
1/4 cup raw honey
**Make sure you put a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge the night before you make this recipe.
1. Boil 1/2 cup water. Put dates in a dish with hot water and let soak for about 10 minutes.
Put dates along with remaining water in a food processor and blend until it becomes a paste.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 350°. Separate eggs and leave egg whites in a large separate bowl. Put egg yolks in the food processor with the dates. Add flours, vinegar, salt, vanilla, butter, milk and baking soda and mix until well blended.
3. With a hand mixer whisk the egg whites until they’re fluffy and form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until fully incorporated.
4. Pour batter into 2 8-inch round cake pans that have been buttered. Bake for 15-25 minutes or until firm and a toothpick inserted through the cake comes out clean. Set the cake aside to cool.
1. Make sure that you’ve refrigerated a can of full fat coconut milk overnight (where to buy BPA free coconut milk). Scoop the coconut cream out of the can and leave the thin liquid at the bottom.
2. Using a hand mixer, whisk the coconut cream for a few minutes until it’s fluffy. Add the remaining frosting ingredients and whisk. If you want a firmer frosting to work with refrigerate it for 30 minutes. If you want a more drizzly frosting leave it at room temperature.
3. Frost the cake and sprinkle with shredded coconut (optional).
Like what you’ve read? Use the box below to sign up for my FREE newsletter to keep up to date on my latest posts!
Subscribe to the FREE newsletter
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my blog are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Get My FREE 4-Week Paleo Meal Plan to your inbox!
Get instant access to my 4-week paleo meal plan when you subscribe!
Plus you'll also get updates on my new healthy real food recipes, nutrition articles and more!