This sprouted lentil vegetable stew is a soothing meal to have on a cool night. I like to make a big pot of this so I can save some for leftovers for lunch or dinner. The flavor just gets better with each day!
Make sure that before you start this recipe that you’ve already sprouted the lentils! Lentils generally take about 3 days to sprout, so start that process before you plan on making the soup. You can check out my tutorial on how to sprout lentils for instructions. The tutorial is specific to red lentils, but it works the same for all kinds of lentils.
Hearty Sprouted Lentil Vegetable Stew:
2 tbsp ghee, coconut oil or butter (where to buy quality oils)
5 cloves garlic
1 head chopped cauliflower
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin
1.5 cups diced tomato or tomato sauce
4-5 cups water or broth
3 cups sprouted lentils (how to sprout lentils)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Before you start cooking the soup, make sure you’ve sprouted the lentils 3 days prior. It takes lentils about 3 days to sprout, so you have to plan ahead for this recipe. Check out my post on how to sprout lentils for instructions (it’s specific to red lentils, but it works for any kind of lentil. I used french green lentils for this recipe).
2. In a pot or dutch oven melt oil and cook chopped onions and garlic. After a couple minutes add parsley, oregano and cumin. Saute until onions are almost translucent.
3. Add chopped cauliflower and carrots and cook for a few minutes to get a little browning on the veggies.
4. Add tomato sauce and stir, then add water or broth and salt and pepper. Cover pot with a lid and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling turn the temperature to low and allow it to simmer with the top on for at least an hour. You can simmer for longer. The longer it simmers to more the flavors will come out.
5. Once the soup is about done simmering, add the sprouted lentils. Since they are sprouted they do not need to be cooked and turn out well with just a little heat from the soup.
Like what you’ve read? Use the box below to sign up for my FREE newsletter to keep up to date on my latest posts!
Subscribe to the FREE newsletter
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my blog are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Get My FREE 4-Week Paleo Meal Plan to your inbox!
Get instant access to my 4-week paleo meal plan when you subscribe!
Plus you'll also get updates on my new healthy real food recipes, nutrition articles and more!