Wow! I have a new found respect for tortilla makers! It is truly a skill. Rolling out the dough into a nice thin tortilla without breaking it takes some practice. Have you ever seen those tortilla makers tossing a roll of masa between their hands into a perfect circle? They’re like those people that toss pizza dough into the air only to make a perfectly round pizza crust. They make it look easy, but it’s not. That said, my sprouted corn tortillas are a thick heartier version of the tortillas you’re used to. The sprouted corn flour is a bit coarser than regular masa flour, so they may not be like the perfect ones you buy at the store, but they are wholesome and delicious!
Homemade Rustic Sprouted Corn Tortillas:
- 2 cups sprouted corn flour (where to buy sprouted corn flour)
- 1.5 cups water
1. Mix corn flour and water together in a bowl. Let sit for a few minutes.
2. Knead the dough a bit and add more flour if it seems too wet or water if too dry.
3. Take small portions of the dough and roll into a ball. The smaller the ball the easier it is to work with.
4. There are two ways to roll out the tortilla without a tortilla press. You can either take two sheets of wax paper and roll it out between the wax paper or you can flour a cutting board and roll it on the board. I tried both ways and found the wax paper to be a little better.
5. Carefully remove the top sheet of wax paper. Pick up the bottom sheet of wax paper with the tortilla and put the tortilla in a medium heat cast iron skillet and remove the other side of wax paper. You don’t need to oil the cast iron.
6. Cook for several minutes on each side and repeat until all the dough is gone.
Once the tortillas are made the rest is a cinch! Here’s what I put in my vegetarian tacos, but of course you could swap out ingredients for others in this case. The amounts will vary on how full you want your tacos and how big your tortillas are.
- black beans
- organic cheese ( Where to buy organic non-GMO cheese)
- fresh arugula
Get My FREE 4-Week Paleo Meal Plan to your inbox!
Get instant access to my 4-week paleo meal plan when you subscribe!
Plus you'll also get updates on my new healthy real food recipes, nutrition articles and more!