A note from Hannah of Healy Real Food Vegetarian:
Today I’m so pleased to bring you a guest post from Suzanne Perazzini of Strands of My Life. I absolutely love her blog! She has great recipes, beautiful photos and knows the joy of a nice cup of afternoon tea (did you know I’m really into tea, tea parties, cute tea cups and tea pots and anything tea related?). That’s why I was over the moon when I found her book Afternoon Tea which features grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free recipes perfect for tea time! (You can buy the ebook version here and the print version here). Today she delivers again with a delicious and healthy avocado cookie recipe! You can find Suzanne blogging at Strands of My Life or on Facebook or Twitter.
From Suzanne Perazzini of Strands of My Life:
Most of us know that avocados are fabulous in salads and many will also now be aware of what a great ingredient they are in sweet treats. They have a great consistency which adds to baked or raw cakes and desserts. Combine it with a healthy dose of nuts and seeds, sweetened by honey and you have a wonderful grain, dairy and refined sugar-free treat that the whole family will love.
Makes 10 cookies
Supplies: Hand beater
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 1/4 cups almond meal
1/4 sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup honey
1 pastured egg
3 tablespoons avocado (mashed)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/180°C.
- Toast the sliced almonds and sunflower seeds until fragrant and golden brown. Let cool, and then chop well.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond meal, chopped almonds and seeds, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl, beat the egg very well until it doubles in volume.
- Whisk in the mashed avocado, honey and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Refrigerate bowl for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough into 1”/2.5cm balls. Place on baking sheet with 1”/2.5cm space between them, and give them a gentle press with the palm of your hand to flatten them slightly.
- Bake until edges just begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
About Suzanne Perazzini of Strands of My Life:
I am Suzanne Perazzini – the writer, recipe developer and photographer of the blog, Strands of My Life. Cooking and taking photographs is an escape into a private world of sensory perception and creation. I live with my husband and son in New Zealand in a house overlooking the
Pacific Ocean. I am a published author, an incorrigible traveller and lover of all things beautiful. Strands of My Life is a blog about my food journey towards great health. You can find visit the Strands of My Life blog and visit her on Facebook and Twitter. She is the author of the dessert book Afternoon Tea, which contains grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free and refined sugar-free sweets which perfectly accompany a cup of afternoon tea. You can buy the ebook version here and the print version here.
Like what you’ve read? Use the box below to sign up for my FREE newsletter to keep up to date on my latest posts!
Subscribe to the FREE newsletter
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in my blog are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Get My FREE "6 Easy Tips to Quit Sugar" Guide!
Get instant access when you subscribe!