I was so pleased to receive a copy of my friend Caitlin Week’s book Mediterranean Paleo Cooking. She’s been working so hard on this book for the past year and I’m so happy to see the final result– an amazingly beautiful, comprehensive, creative cookbook with over 150 Mediterranean style recipes that have been paleo-ified! Caitlin’s husband Nabil is from Algeria, so he grew up with Mediterranean cooking. Nabil is also an amazing chef, so his expertise is a big part of this book as well.
One of my favorite things about Mediterranean Paleo Cooking is that is has something for EVERYONE! Caitlin Weeks and Diane Sanfilippo have done an incredible job of testing substitutions for almost every recipe for those with special diets. Most of the recipes contain tested substitutions for:
- Autoimmune Paleo
So if you’re on a special diet or have allergies, you will love this book! I myself, am on Autoimmune paleo, so I couldn’t wait to try out the AIP paleo pizza recipe. This paleo pizza recipe is also low-FODMAP!
- ¾ cup boiling hot water
- 2 tbsp grass-fed gelatin
- 1½ cups tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup sustainable palm shortening or coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 large raw beets, peeled and shredded
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp minced garlic (for low-FODMAP use ¼ cup chopped scallions)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- For toppings, I used sautéed ground grass fed beef, chopped asparagus, leafy greens, herbs and coarse sea salt. You can use any combination of meat and veggies that you want!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the hot water and gelatin in a small, heatproof bowl. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the tapioca, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the fat to the flour mixture and mix well. Add the vinegar and gelatin water to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Set the dough on the lined baking sheet and press it into a circle that's about ¼ to ⅓ inch thick.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes and remove from the oven. Add toppings of choice and bake for 15 more minutes, until golden brown.
- Place all ingredients except the basil in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture. If the sauce seems too thin, simmer for 5-10 more minutes, uncovered. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
Get My FREE 4-Week Paleo Meal Plan to your inbox!
Get instant access to my 4-week paleo meal plan when you subscribe!
Plus you'll also get updates on my new healthy real food recipes, nutrition articles and more!