There are many items in our homes that may seen benign, but actually contain thyroid toxins that affect our endocrine and hormonal health. Make sure that you remove the worst chemical offenders from your home and protect your thyroid.
Have you successfully changed your diet to be gluten-, dairy-, soy-, and sugar-free? Despite making this monumental change, do you still feel tired, bloated, foggy, and not able to really concentrate? Although diet is very important, it is sometimes not enough when it comes to healing your thyroid.
When I was going through my own healing journey, I discovered that there were things that I changed in my daily routine that allowed me to feel better. Many do not realize it, but many habits that seem like second-nature to us are, in fact, destroying our health.
Stress, sleep, diet, and exercise are all vital to feeling better. However, our environment and the toxins we allow into our homes can be catastrophic to our overall and thyroid health.
Which toxins affect the optimal functioning of the thyroid?
In order to give you an idea of common, everyday substances that we are exposed to, here is a list of common toxins that affect the thyroid negatively…
- Do you drink water from a plastic bottle?
- Do you store water in large plastic containers that are placed on top of a water dispenser?
- Do you leave water in plastic bottles in the car when it is hot outside?
- Do you warm food and then store it in plastic containers?
All of these habits can lead to a malfunctioning thyroid. Substances like phthalates and antimony leech out from the plastic and into the water or food. When consumed, these toxic chemicals prevent the optimal functioning of the thyroid gland.
2. Non-stick surfaces
Like the convenience of having a non-stick frying pan when you cook? Well, that convenience could be costing you your health.
The chemical that is found in these kitchen appliances can decrease thyroid function. Only moderate exposure is enough to trigger thyroid dysfunction.
3. Antibacterial soaps & household cleaners
Are you afraid of bacteria and want to kill every last microbe in your house? Our super clean lifestyle and phobia of little creatures has made us sicker than ever.
Triclosan is a common antibiotic that is used in things like dishwashing liquid, hand soap, cleaners and toothpaste. It interferes with the proper functioning of thyroid hormones as well as with estrogen and testosterone levels.
Chlorine is most obviously present in cleaning agents like bleach. However, it can also be present in high levels in your drinking water and water that you use to take a shower.
PCBs or Polychlorinated Biphenyls found in chlorine are toxic to thyroid cells. They increase TSH, thyroid antibodies, and thyroid size.
5. Octinoxate, Resorcinol, and Parabens
All of these chemicals with fancy names are found in common beauty products like shampoos, conditioners, lotions, facial and shower cleansers, hair dyes, sunscreen, lipstick, makeup and nail polish. They are all absorbed through the skin and they are potent endocrine disruptors, which means that they disrupt the proper functioning of hormones, including thyroid hormones.
7 Tips For Reducing Thyroid Toxin Exposure
1. Throw out all the plastic! There is really no reason to use plastic these days. It is bad for our health and it is bad for the environment.
So do yourself, and the earth, a favour and store your food in glass containers, use glass or stainless steel bottles for your drinks, and attach a water filter to your sink for drinking water. Learn how to detox your kitchen from plastic here.
2. Use cosmetics that are toxin-free. I use and love Savvy Minerals makeup. It is totally non-toxic and only made with natural ingredients…and it looks amazing! You can get Savvy Minerals makeup here.
3. Ditch the antibacterial soap. There is really no need to use antibacterial soaps and like agents. A healthy amount of bacteria on our skin also help to build a stronger microbiome (or the world of microorganisms that we are all host to).
4. Studies show that a more diverse microbiome helps to protect us against disease by boosting our immune system. Use natural essential oils to keep your home clean like oregano essential oil or thieves essential oil. Natural soap like Young Living Thieves Soap or Dr. Bronner’s is great. To learn more about the many non-toxic uses for essential oils, get my free non-toxic essential oil recipe ebook here.
5. Get a filter for your showerhead and drinking water. Yes, you read that right. Our skin is the largest organ in our body and it absorbs many things that come in contact with it. This includes the water that we shower with.
In order to avoid excess exposure to chlorine from the water, get a shower filter to avoid further damage to your thyroid and hormonal health. Filtering your drinking water from toxins is also important. Use a reverse osmosis filter or a berkey filter.
6. Use cast iron instead of non-stick surfaces. Replace your non-stick frying pans with cast iron frying pans or stainless steel cookware. Cast iron pots do not leech any toxic chemicals into your food. They can leech iron, however, which may be a good thing as most people with autoimmune disease are usually iron-deficient.
7. Use non-toxic cleaners. Household cleaners are one of the worst offenders when it comes to harmful chemicals and toxic fragrances. I recommend using Young Living thieves cleaner. It is all natural and harnesses the power of natural essential oils. It is also super concentrated so a small bottle will last a long time. To learn more about the many non-toxic uses for essential oils, get my free non-toxic essential oil recipe ebook here.
Don’t waste another minute feeling sick and tired. Making these simple changes to your daily routine can have you feeling vibrant and alive. Remember, it is not about the absence of disease, but about optimizing your health so that you can feel at your best to enjoy your life.
Do you want to heal your Hypothyroidism symptoms for good?
Are you tired of the guesswork involved in treating your hypothyroidism?
Are you frustrated that your doctor doesn’t understand your condition?
Are you ready to stop feeling tired all the time and take control of your health?
The Hypothyroidism Solution contains everything you need to start treating your Hypothyroidism holistically.
Carol says…“I feel so much healthier, I’m not tired anymore, I’m eating better, don’t feel bloated or stressed. My skin is not dry. My joints don’t hurt as much. It’s surprising what you can do with the correct information explained to you right. I could never understand why I could not lose weight.
I even spent 6 months at the gym, going everyday doing two hours each time and still could not lose the weight. Now I’m on day 34 of the Hypothyroidism Solution, I’ve lost 8.5 kgs (18 lbs), dropped a couple of dress sizes, and now feel good, sleep better and have heaps of energy. I’ve even come off my levothyrozine tablets!”
Additional Thyroid Resources:
- 5 Best Supplements for Hypothyroidism
- 5 Steps to STOP Hypothyroidism Hair Loss
- Top 4 Thyroid Detox Mistakes
- Hypothyroidism Diet Guide Printable
- 5 Reasons Cruciferous Vegetables are NOT Bad for Your Thyroid
- 5 Foods to Avoid for an Underactive Thyroid
- 6 Best Foods for Hypothyroidism
About Tina Christoudias, The Thyroid Dietician
Tina Christoudias is a Harvard-trained registered dietitian with nearly 18 years of experience as a nutrition counselor. Having had personal experience with hypothyroidism, she specializes in diet protocols for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and hypothyroidism and has recently finished her book, Tired of Feeling Tired? She is a strong advocate of the Paleo diet and has recently become an Autoimmune Protocol Certified Coach.
FREE Hypothyroid Diet Guide Printables + Course
Get Instant Access!
By submitting your name and email you are consenting to receive regular newsletter emails from Healy Eats Real including information about our products and special offers. You can unsubscribe at any time.
FREE "6 Easy Tips to Quit Sugar" Guide!
By submitting your name and email you are consenting to receive a free copy of "6 Easy Tips to Quit Sugar" as well as regular newsletter emails from Healy Eats Real including information about our products and special offers. You can unsubscribe at any time.