Many people don’t know about the dangers of microwave popcorn. Read on to find out why I stopped buying microwave popcorn long ago…
Everyone enjoys a nice bowl of popcorn when you’re sitting down for a movie, but if you really know what’s in microwave or movie theater popcorn, you might think twice about eating it. Don’t worry though, there are healthier ways to enjoy popcorn!
5 Reasons You Should Never Eat Microwave Popcorn:
Contrary to popular belief, the actual popcorn is not a GMO. It is a different strain of corn that has not been genetically modified. However, the ingredients included in the microwavable bag of popcorn is often GMO-derived. Most brands of microwave popcorn contain corn oil, soy oil, or soy lecithin, all common GMO ingredients.
2. Toxic Artificial Butter Flavoring (Diacetyl)
Most popcorn brands use artificial butter flavoring in their microwave popcorn. This chemical is called diacetyl and has caused respiratory and lung problems and may even cause damage to the brain (source).
3. Popcorn Lung (bronchiolitis obliterans)
The lung problems associated with the artificial butter flavoring (diacetyl) has afflicted enough people to even garner it’s own disease name– it’s called “popcorn lung” or bronchiolitis obliterans.
Unfortunately, this disease is irreversible and can cause lung inflammation, scarring and even restricted airflow resulting in breathing trouble. In extreme cases it can become life-threatening.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, at least 8 factory workers in Missouri, who worked in popcorn factories developed “popcorn lung” (Source). Reports of popcorn lung from additional factories were revealed later.
But, factory workers are not the only ones at risk for bronchiolitis obliterans. When a bag of microwave popcorn is heated, this causes the chemical diacetyl to vaporize, thus allowing consumers to breath in the chemical.
In 2012, Wayne Watson won a lawsuit against 3 microwave popcorn companies for damages caused by bronchiolitis obliterans contracted from consuming microwave popcorn.
4. Perfluorooctanoic Acid in The Bag
One of the worst things about microwave popcorn is the chemicals in the bag that it comes in.
Perfluorooctanoic Acid is a known carcinogen and has been shown to cause developmental and other adverse effects in lab rats (source).
Many brands of microwave popcorn use preservatives that are toxic and can cause health problems.
For example, some brands contain proply gallate, a preservative that has caused tumors in lab rats. Because of the adverse effects of proply gallate, it is being phased out of food products in many other countries, unfortunately though, the US has yet to come around on this one (source 1, source 2).
So what should you do it you still want to enjoy some popcorn?
Make your own!
Fortunately, the issue with microwave popcorn is not the actual popcorn! The issue is mostly with the added chemicals, preservatives and the microwave bag.
It’s easy to make your own stovetop popcorn with all-natural ingredients! You can use a stainless steel popcorn popper like this one. Then fill it with organic popcorn. Drizzle it with real grassfed butter or ghee (have I mentioned that butter is good for you?) and sprinkle it with sea salt and nutritional yeast for savory or coconut sugar and cinnamon (non-irradiated) for sweet!
Click Here to Pin It!
FREE "6 Easy Tips to Quit Sugar" Guide!
By submitting your name and email you will receive a free copy of the 6 Easy Tips to Quit Sugar Ebook and are consenting to receive regular newsletter emails from Healy Eats Real including information about our products and special offers. You can unsubscribe at any time.
FREE "6 Easy Tips to Quit Sugar" Guide!
By submitting your name and email you are consenting to receive a free copy of "6 Easy Tips to Quit Sugar" as well as regular newsletter emails from Healy Eats Real including information about our products and special offers. You can unsubscribe at any time.