I’ll show you how to make almond butter in just 5 minutes! This simple recipe only requires almonds and a food processor to make your own delicious nut spread!
You won’t believe how easy it is to make you very own organic almond butter at home. Spread on toast topped with fruit for a healthy breakfast or snack or use in sauces and dressings for savory dishes.
If you are vegan, paleo or just a clean eater then you’ve probably bought your fair share of almond butter. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a healthy filling snack with good fats and a bit of protein.
However, good quality store-bought almond butter can be expensive! Especially if you want organic or truly raw almonds. I like to get good quality almonds from the farmers market and use those to process into almond butter. It’s fresh, tasty and healthy!
Why I love this recipe
- The best thing about this almond butter recipe is that it only requires one ingredient: almonds! And it very quick and easy to make.
- You can customize your almond butter as you like it with variations like raw or roasted almonds or other additions (see below).
- This simple almond butter is so versatile. My favorite way to use almond butter it to slather it on apples, celery, paleo bread or any other fruits or baked goods. You can even bake with almond butter or throw it in a smoothie. The possibilities are endless!
Almond butter recipe tips
- You’ll need a food processor for this recipe in order to properly grind up the almonds into butter.
- You can use either raw almonds or toasted almonds. It just depends on your preference. Raw almonds take longer to process into butter but will yield a lighter flavor. Toasted almonds will turn into butter much quicker and have a stronger smokey flavor.
- You can even add optional flavors to your almond butter after you’ve ground it into butter. Some people like to add honey, sea salt, cocoa powder or maple syrup.
- Keep finished almond butter in a jar in the refrigerator. Mine has lasted at least a month if not more!
How To Make Almond Butter
If using roasted almonds, pre-heat oven to 325°F. Spread almonds out on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. If using raw almonds then skip this step and place the raw almonds in a food processor. If using roasted almonds, place the finished roasted almonds in the food processor.
At first the almonds will turn into a dust-like texture. Stop and scrape down the sides of the food processor if necessary.
Continue to blend and the almonds with become somewhat lumpy and oily. Stop and scrape down the sides and continue to process.
Continue to blend until the oils release and you get a creamy almond-butter texture. This may take up to 5 minutes of blending and stopping to scrape the sides.
How to Make Almond Butter in 5 Minutes
- 1 Food processor
- 2 cups almonds
- If using roasted almonds, spread almonds out on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 325°F (190°C) for about 10 minutes.
- If using raw almonds omit step #1. Put almonds into a food processor and blend.
- At first the almonds will turn into a dust-like texture, but continue to mix. Stop and scrape down the sides of the food processor if necessary.
- Continue to blend until the oils release and you get a creamy almond-butter texture. This may take up to 5 minutes of blending and stopping to scrape the sides.
This recipe was first posted in June of 2013, but has been republished in February of 2021 to include updated instructions.