This cauliflower puree recipe is one of my absolute favorite side dishes! It’s creamy and delicious just like mashed potatoes. If you season it just right, the flavor is incredible.
I like to make a big cauliflower puree batch on Sundays and keep it in a jar in the fridge so I can easily reheat it for meals during the week. It’s mostly all vegetable so it’s good for you, but it’s so rich that it tastes like it isn’t!
This recipe is made far easier with the use of a hand blender. If you don’t already have one of these I highly suggest getting one! I only bought it to use for pureeing soups, but now I use it all the time for things like pancake batter, paleo oatmeal, frittatas and lots of other stuff.
Cauliflower Puree (Paleo & Vegan):
- 2 medium heads cauliflower
- 1-1½ cups bone broth or vegetable broth how to make vegetable broth
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp butter, ghee or olive oil
- First, wash the cauliflower heads and chop them into small pieces. Place the chopped cauliflower into a large pot and pour in 1 cup of the vegetable broth. The vegetable broth should come up just short of the top of the cauliflower, it shouldn't be covering the cauliflower. Add more if necessary. Turn on the heat to high.
- Add in the whole garlic cloves (they do not need to be chopped since they will be pureed later). Then add in the salt, pepper, spices and stir. Cover the pot with a lid and bring it to a boil.
- Once the cauliflower is boiling, stir it and turn the heat to medium-high (it should continue to boil gently).
- Let it cook for about 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is very soft and tender. You should be able to easily mash it with a fork. Turn the heat off.
- If you are using a hand blender you can immediately begin to puree the cauliflower until it is smooth, but be careful not to let it splash since it's hot. If you are using a blender to puree it, wait for it to cool, but first add the butter or ghee and allow it to melt in the pot (you can add olive oil after it cools if you want). Then, once it's cooled blend it until it becomes a smooth puree.
- If you used a hand blender, add the butter, ghee or olive oil after you've pureed it and then puree it once more to blend the oil.
- Once you're done blending it's ready to be eaten! Add more salt or pepper to taste if necessary and enjoy!
Get My FREE 10 Healthy Holiday Treats Recipe Ebook!
10 Healthy Holiday Treats is Totally Gluten-Free, Paleo & Dairy-Free!
Get instant access when you subscribe!